A new version of Darktable has been released recently. It is used for photo processing program in RAW format..Here's how to install it on Ubuntu.
If you want work with images (i.e mostly in RAW format), Darktable application is the best for this. Darktable is an alternative of a raster graphics editor such as Adobe Photoshop or GIMP,
Darktable works with a set of tools which have geared specifically for RAW format photo processing.
if you want using non-destructive editing, it is mainly focused on improving the photographer's work process by management of large amounts of images.
Darktable application is an open source and it is available for free in different-different versions for Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris distributions under GPL version 3 or higher.
Here are some features of the program:
- It is totally non-destructive editing application.
- All core functions of the Darktable operate on 4 x 32-bit pixel floating-point buffersand it is allowing SSE instructions for speed increases.
- It also provides GPU acceleration via OpenCL (runtime detection and enable) and has built-in ICC profile support: sRGB, Adobe RGB, XYZ and linear RGB.
- A plugin allows you run flexible database queries and browse your images for tags, image classification (stars), color labels and more.
- You can filter and sorting your collections within the base query or simple tagging by related tags.
- You can imports a variety of image formats.
- Darktable application currently comes with 15 translations: Albanian, Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, French, Gaelic, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Thai.
- It supports picasa webalbum, flickr upload, disk storage, 1: 1 export copy, email attachments. It can also generate a web gallery based on simple html.
- it allows, you can export images to low dynamic range (jpg, png, tiff), 16-bit (ppm, tiff), or linear high dynamic range (pfm, exr).
- It uses two secondary XMP files as well as its fast database to save metadata and processing settings.
Installing the Darktable Photo Processing application on Ubuntu
To install the Darktable photo processing application on Ubuntu, do the following these steps:
1. Open a terminal (Using Dash or pressing CTRL + ALT + T);
2. If you do not already have it, add the program repository with this command
3. Update the Apt by typing the command:
4. To install the update, use this command: